Thursday, September 16, 2010

We CAN be Creative Parents!

A few years ago as an active teacher, I heard one of the parents say on a Friday afternoon, "Have a good weekend, Teachers!  You guys get to rest and we parents start our jobs with the kids until Sunday evening! Wish us luck!"  And with a long sigh she walked off with her three- and five-year old.  I could almost hear her heavy heart beat while she held each child's hand in hers.  I wasn't a parent then and couldn't believe that she considered her weekend with the children such a burden.  What was wrong with her, I thought to myself.  I was in utter disbelief.

And then I became a parent, twice over now in ten years and realized part of what she was saying.  Weekends in a country where nannies and house-help was a luxury can become tedious, especially when you spend ALL day doing errands.  Add to that, spending ALL day with two children who both need you in some way or other.  It can be nerve-wracking indeed.

But then I discovered how to become a "creative parent" without having to spend money or spend the entire day preparing for one activity with my children, "just to keep them busy."  Of course having experienced years of being in the classroom with screaming, rowdy and sweet preschoolers (a.k.a. a teacher) helped a lot.  Common sense also kicked in.

Here are some tried-and-tested fun activities I've done with my children (and sometimes with other people's children I had to baby sit often) which kept them busy and my sanity intact.  I also managed to slip out of the room to fold laundry, do the dishes and surf the net!!!

1.  Simple Water Play.  
On a warm day, I spread out an old shower curtain (indoors!!!) to shield the floor of a rented condo then). The other materials were as follows:
     Two (2) wide-mouth bins, filled one with water about two inches high and the    
     other left empty. 
     Old measuring cups (plastic), water bottles (also plastic), spoons, ice cream   
     scoopers and a plastic strainer (the ones we use for draining pasta)


I showed my daughter how to scoop water from the bin and pour it into the bottles.  Later on she was transferring water from one bin to the next.  for variety you can add dishwashing soap or a mild shampoo.  Bubbles are a sure winner.


She was at it for almost an hour.  She also found her way inside the bin later on, enjoying the tight "mini-pool"  she created.


A word of caution though, keep the water level LOW.  A younger child of one or two years of age may drown in as low as an inch of water.  They may be unable to raise their head out of the waterbin at that age.   


And teach the children NOT to drink the water. If they're busy pouring and scooping, they won'd drink.  And for safety measures, keep a pitcher or glass of water beside your child when she or he gets thirsty.


And as a creative parent, I learned not to get finicky about getting wet, dirty or sticky fingers.


2.  Clothespins (wooden or plastic) on a clothesline.


I tied a short cord from one closet to another (or a chair to a closet, whatever works) and attached ten (10) clothespins on the cord.  It was a home-made abacus and a great tool to exercise my daughter's fine-motor muscles--the small muscles in the fingers, used to control the pencil.  


3.  (More to come later...duty calls, time to pick up the children from school!)

No comments:

Post a Comment